Sunday, December 13, 2020

Asked for and Answered: Daniel Chapter 10

 Have you ever prayed until the things you asked for were answered? In this chapter you find one who fasts and prays for three weeks until he gets his answer. Learn how Daniel does intercessory prayer!

 

Vv 1 – 9          Daniel Is Terrified by a Vision

 

V 1 In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia a message was revealed to Daniel, who was

            named Belteshazzar; and the message was true and one of great conflict, but he

            understood the message and had an understanding of the vision.

A. Third year of Cyrus: 536 B.C.

  1. The message was in answer to Daniel’s prayer.

  2. The message was true and of great conflict.

  3. However, Daniel understood the vision.

V 2 In those days, I, Daniel, had been mourning for three entire weeks.

B. Have you ever interceded for someone or something for three weeks?

V 3 I did not eat any tasty food, nor did meat or wine enter my mouth, nor did I use any

            ointment at all until the entire three weeks were completed.

C. Along with his intercessory prayer, Daniel fasted.

  1. He did eat!

  2. He didn’t go hungry for three weeks.

  3. He chose not to eat certain kinds of food.

    a. No tasty food, i.e. nothing sweet or rich, nothing that a king would eat, no

            casseroles, dressings or dumplings.

    b. He didn’t eat meat or drink wine.

    c. He would have eaten steamed or raw veggies.

    d. His diet would have included water, maybe unleavened bread.

  4. He didn’t anoint his body with oil, either.

V 4 On the twenty-fourth day of the first month, while I was by the bank of the great

            river, that is, the Tigris,

D. The first month would have been Passover month, Nissan or Abib.

V 5 I lifted my eyes and looked, and behold, there was a certain man dressed in linen,

            whose waist was girded with a belt of pure gold of Uphaz.

E. Wonder who this man was?

V 6 His body also was like beryl, his face had the appearance of lightning, his eyes were

            like flaming torches, his arms and feet like the gleam of polished bronze, and the

            sound of his words like the sound of a tumult.

 F. I think he is describing the same person that Ezekiel saw in Chapter 1:22-28, read.

  1. Face like lightening.

  2. Eyes like flaming torches

  3. Arms and feet like polished bronze, Rev. 1:15 and 2:18, Ezekiel. 1:7, they became

            this way from walking to and fro on the earth.

  4. Like the sound of troops going into battle, Ezekiel 1:24.

  5. Or the sound of rushing waters, Jeremiah 10:13.

V 7 Now I, Daniel, alone saw the vision, while the men who were with me did not see the

            vision; nevertheless, a great dread fell on them, and they ran away to hide

            themselves.

G. Although others were present, only Daniel saw the vision; however, all who were

            there were affected by the presence of Jesus.

  1. Isn’t it amazing how we feel the presence of the Holy Spirit.

  2. You know it’s Him without knowing why, don’t you?

  3. However, these men didn’t recognize the feeling, and they ran away and hid.

    a. Too many people are running away from Jesus.

    b. If they only stayed and listened to Him for a little bit, their lives could be

            changed eternally.

V 8 So I was left alone and saw this great vision; yet no strength was left in me, for my natural color turned to a deathly pallor, and I retained no strength.

H. Although I stayed and saw the vision, I was scared!

  1. I turned pale.

  2. My natural color, probably a dark color, left him.

  3. Have you ever been scared so badly that your natural color left you?

V 9 But I heard the sound of his words; and as soon as I heard the sound of his words, I

            fell into a deep sleep on my face, with my face to the ground.

J. Once again, Daniel swoons in the Spirit. He falls on his face before God!

Vv 10 – 21      Daniel Comforted

V 10 Then behold, a hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees.

A. A beautiful piece of scripture.

  1. An Angel of the Lord touches Daniel.

  2. I want to read you one of my favorite poems about touch, here!                                    

 

The Touch of the Master’s Hand

 

'Twas battered and scarred, and the auctioneer

       Thought it scarcely worth his while

To waste much time on the old violin,

       But held it up with a smile.

"What am I bidden, good folks," he cried,

     "Who'll start the bidding for me?"

"A dollar, a dollar. Then two! Only two?

      Two dollars, and who'll make it three?"

 

"Three dollars, once; three dollars, twice;

      Going for three..." But no,

From the room, far back, a grey-haired man

      Came forward and picked up the bow;

Then wiping the dust from the old violin,

      And tightening the loosened strings,

He played a melody pure and sweet,

      As a caroling angel sings.

The music ceased, and the auctioneer,

      With a voice that was quiet and low,

Said: "What am I bid for the old violin?"

      And he held it up with the bow.

"A thousand dollars, and who'll make it two?

      Two thousand! And who'll make it three?

Three thousand, once; three thousand, twice,

     And going and gone," said he.

 

The people cheered, but some of them cried,

     "We do not quite understand.

What changed its worth?" Swift came the reply:

     "The touch of the Master's hand."

And many a man with life out of tune,

      And battered and scarred with sin,

Is auctioned cheap to the thoughtless crowd

      Much like the old violin.

 

A "mess of pottage," a glass of wine,

     A game -- and he travels on.

He is "going" once, and "going" twice,

    He's "going" and almost "gone."

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd

     Never can quite understand

The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought

     By the touch of the Master's hand.

 

  Written by: MYRA BROOKS WELCH, TEX RITTER, TOMMY DOUGLAS ALLSUP. Found at https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/1859571/Jimmy+Dean/The+Touch+of+the+Master%27s+Hand

 

  3. You see, Jesus has something important for Daniel, so He touches him and gets him

            at least on his hands and knees.

V 11 He said to me, "O Daniel, man of high esteem, understand the words that I am

             about to tell you and stand upright, for I have now been sent to you " And when

            he had spoken this word to me, I stood up trembling.

B. Again, Gabriel refers to Daniel as a man of high esteem.

  1. Stand up.

  2. I have been sent to give you understanding.

V 12 Then he said to me, Do not be afraid, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your

            heart on understanding this and on humbling yourself before your God, your

            words were heard, and I have come in response to your words.

C. Fear not, Daniel!

  1. Wonder how many times that phrase has been used in the Bible?

  2. From day one, your prayers were heard.

  3. I have come to give you a response.

  4. Notice that God answers prayer from the first day; however, it took Daniel praying for three weeks before an answer comes. Sin hinders your prayers. Never quit making intercession for a cause or another saint.

V 13 But the prince of the kingdom of Persia was withstanding me for twenty-one days;

            then behold, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I had been left

            there with the kings of Persia.

D. I came immediately to you when you began praying, but we had opposition.

  1. Satan had withstood Gabriel for 21 days.

  2. Finally, Michael, another angel came to withstand the kings of Persia.

  3. Then I could come tell you what God sent me to tell you.

  4. Is there other instances of kings of countries withstanding God’s progress?

    a. Look at Isaiah 14:17, read!

    b. Ezekiel 28:11-17, read

    c. According to these scriptures, Satan helps kings get into power, too.

    d. Of course God allows this to happen. He puts all rulers in place.

    e. Even though Babylon, Medo/Persia, Greece and Rome existed as world powers,

            they had help from Satan to get there.

    f. We will see this play out big time in the Old Roman Empire during the tribulation. Order your copy of Why Revelation Why Now from B. C. Ministries, Inc.

V 14 Now I have come to give you an understanding of what will happen to your people

            in the latter days, for the vision pertains to the days yet future.

E. I come to give you understanding about your people in the future.

V 15 When he had spoken to me according to these words, I turned my face toward the

            ground and became speechless.

F. Daniel can’t talk because of the power of God’s word delivered by the angel.

V 16 And behold, one who resembled a human being was touching my lips; then I opened

            my mouth and spoke and said to him who was standing before me, O my lord, as a

            result of the vision anguish has come upon me, and I have retained no strength.

G. Wonder who this one who resembled a human was that was touching Daniel’s lips?

  1. Daniel refers to him as Lord!

  2. He tries to explain why he has no strength left to stand.

  3. It’s because of the vision, anguish has come upon me and my strength is gone.

V 17 For how can such a servant of my lord talk with such as my lord? As for me, there

            remains just now no strength in me, nor has any breath been left in me.

H. How can I speak to such as my lord. There’s no strength left in me.

V 18 Then this one with human appearance touched me again and strengthened me.

I. Jesus touches him again, and he regains his strength.

V 19 He said, O man of high esteem, do not be afraid. Peace be with you; take courage

            and be courageous! Now as soon as he spoke to me, I received strength and said,

             ay my lord speak, for you have strengthened me.

J. This human like figure speaks to him again, calls him a man of high esteem and tells

             him not to be afraid.

  1. As soon as he spoke to me I received my strength.

  2. I told him, yes my lord speak for you have given me strength.

V 20 Then he said, Do you understand why I came to you? But I shall now return to fight

            against the prince of Persia; so I am going forth, and behold, the prince of

            Greece is about to come.

K. Do you know why I came to you?

  1. I have to return to fight against the prince of Persia.

  2. The prince of Greece is about to come, as well.

V 21 However, I will tell you what is inscribed in the writing of truth. Yet there is no one

            who stands firmly with me against these forces except Michael your prince.

L. I’m going to teach you truth, however, there is none to stand with me against these

            forces except Michael.

  1. What kind of forces are they standing against? Spiritual ones. Paul explains these powers in Ephesians 6:12.

  2. They are trying to end the reign of Persia and let Greece reign for a period of time.

  3. Then they will have to fight against the prince of Greece to overthrow that kingdom.

 

Study Questions

 

Daniel

 

Chapter 10

 

  1. What year was Cyrus’ third year of reign?

 

  2. Was Daniel mourning or doing intercessory prayer for three weeks?

 

  3. Who is the man Daniel sees on the Tigris River?

 

  4. What happened to the men who were with Daniel when he sees the vision?

 

  5. When was the man sent from God to deliver Daniel’s prayer answer?

 

  6. Who do you think the one with the “human appearance” might be?

 

  7. Who is the prince of Persia?

 

  8. Who is the prince of Greece?

 

  9. What two angels names are mentioned in this chapter?

 

10. What gave Daniel the strength to stand?

 

Legal Reminder

Thanks for checking out our blog at B. C. Ministries, Inc. Our mission is to provide meaningful study material from God's word. The materials we provide are the works of Howard, and any relation to others woks is purely coincidental.


Blessings,



Howard


PS: Our first novel, The Red-Haired Master Shepherd, has been published. The novel is fiction about a little known Biblical character who meets Jesus. Check it out here. Or you can email us for your copy.
For a complete study of Revelation, click here.


Who You Are Isn't Based on Performance with God. Who You Are Should Have A Direct Bearing on How You Perform.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment