Sunday, April 19, 2020

An Easter Poem



Easter
By
B Howard Coffey

He prayed in Gethsemane
Alone while others slept
He died to set me free
His promises for me is kept

One of His own denied Him
Another His betrayal wished
One brought a band to fetch him
And betrayed him with a kiss

His cross with two of disgrace
I must be one of there
He died and took my place
He with no sin died I’m set free

Darkness lived between you and me
He cried in desperate pain
Father why the sin on me
My Son the church you gain

Once he said I thirst
They gave him vinegar to drink
He hang between heaven and earth
Dying for sin to shrink

He said, “Father forgive
They know not what they do.”
Had they ever any idea
Would never crucify you

They nailed him to a cross
pierced were His feet and hands
He traded heaven for dross
And welcomed angel bands

He cried out it is finished
and Satan thought he won
He sounded loud and fiendish
till the Temple veil was torn

He should have seen the warning
His world was torn asunder
He would know loss and mourning
When Jesus comes in thunder

Sunday He was seen alive
grave and death over come
Jesus won though crucified
His kingdom finished and done


No comments:

Post a Comment